Best King Size Bed Frame For Your DIY King Size Headboard
Low cost king size bed frame models to pair with this easy, no sew, upholstered king size headboard. Simple instructions and king bed dimensions.
Memory-Foam-Maniac.com is all about sleeping better on a budget. Part of that is resting in an environment that makes you feel good. But king size bedroom sets and headboards can be expensive. So when the Maniac found this simple, easy king headboard project on HGTV.com we just had to share.
First you'll need to buy a quality bed frame king size or a California king size bed frame.
Next, you'll need some basic measurements. Standard king size bed dimensions are W76" x L80" inches (W193cm x L203cm). The California king size is W72" x L84" (W183cm x L213cm). Find more standard sizes at our mattress size charts page. If you're a bit tight on space, a queen size bed frame might work better for you.
How to Make a No Sew Upholstered King Size Headboard
Materials and Tools:
- foam core board
- craft knife
- fusible fleece
- fusible adhesive
- pressing cloth
- glue gun
- fabric scraps
- fusible patterns
- self-stick hook-and-loop tape
1. Determine the shape of the headboard, and draw its outline on the foam core board. Repeatedly score the outline with a craft knife until it cuts completely through the board.
2. Cut three layers of fusible fleece to the dimensions of the headboard, and align them on the foam core. Place a pressing cloth over the fleece, spray it lightly with water, and then press the fleece with an iron. All three layers will fuse at once.
3. Cut the fabric slightly larger than the foam core so that its edges wrap around the sides and onto the back of the board.
4. Starting in the center and working out to the edges, press the fabric onto the fleece.
5. Iron a strip of fusible adhesive to the edge of the fabric, remove the protective paper and fuse the fabric onto the back of the board.
6. Cut a piece of fabric about 1/2-inch smaller than the dimensions of the board. Fuse it to the back of the board so that it covers the raw edges of the fabric fused to the front.
7. Apply trim around the edges of the headboard with a glue gun.
8. Fuse pattern onto coordinating fabric. Cut out the pattern, remove the paper backing and iron the design onto the headboard, pillows, dust ruffle or other accessories.
Last, mark on the wall where you want to place the headboard and use the velcro tape (the hook-and-loop tape) to attach it in place. Apply a bit of glue to each end of the tape on the headboard side before you attach it to the wall. It will make a more secure bond.
Here's a couple of value priced king size bed frame models that will complement your new upholstered king size headboard.
King Size Bed Frame Review - Malouf
14 Inch HiRise Folding Metal Platform Bed Base by Malouf
Rated 4.5 out of 5
What's not to like about this king size platform bed frame? Its heavy duty frame is solid steel construction. It's got plenty of bed center support legs to keep your memory foam mattress flat. It's collapsible, easy to assemble and creates the equivalent of another closet right under your bed. It comes in all the standard sizes including a California king size bed frame.
It's also cheap. That's cheap as in value priced, not cheaply made. This black powder coated workhorse can hold about half a ton or 2,500 pounds. That's roughly one king size memory foam mattress, pillows, bedding and seven 300 pound friends! So don't worry about the kids or the dog bouncing on the bed.
One of the things that the Maniac really likes about this is the headboard bracket set . They're custom made to hold your king size headboard masterpiece securely to the metal frame. They're only about $20 extra. Buy them.
More details at 14 Inch HiRise Folding Metal Platform Bed Base by Malouf
Including Ratings, Features, Buyer Feedback and Prices
King Size Bed Frame Review - Pragma
Quad-Fold Folding Bed Frame by Pragma
Rated 4.4 out of 5 Almost 65% of buyers gave it the highest possible score.
This is the best king size bed frame if you move often. It only weighs 51 pounds and folds up into a tidy package only about 11 inches high x 38 inches long by 23 inches wide. Its not too heavy for one person to get into a car.
The king size platform bed frame is black powder coated steel construction, with a sturdy wire mesh so it's a heavy duty frame. It has center support legs that will keep those large king size mattresses flat.
There aren't any special headboard brackets for this bed. But there are screw holes conveniently placed along the frame. Your headboard can either be attached through those holes or you could just attach the headboard to the wall behind the bed.
More at Quad-Fold Folding Bed Frame by Pragma
Ratings, Features and Buyer Feedback
What did you think about this easy way to make a custom king size headboard? It looks easy, right? If you've got questions or more ideas, leave them in the comments section below. Go try it and send us a picture of your new king size bed frame set!
Please click the LIKE button to share this article on Facebook. Or Google + it. Since spreading the word about getting better sleep on a budget is such a good thing to do. It's our way of making a little difference, and contributing to the health and happiness of people around us. That's our reason for writing about the best king size bed frame today.
Please click LIKE to do your part. Thanks!